Monday, May 2, 2011

Jordanian expedition continued

It took 40 minutes for me to get into this blog tonight. This is the worst high speed internet service I have ever encountered. (Deep breath and exhale).
Following our cliffhanging experience, the next day our guide took us on what was billed as an easy hike to view the "Treasury" in Petra from above. We began the day exhausted from the two previous days. Well, after climbing rocks uphill for nearly 2 hours we were rewarded with a view of the Treasury that very few people get to see. Then we continued to an even higher point called the "Place of Sacrifice." This entailed another couple of hours of clawing our way up rocks. We were not prepared for this as we were told it would be easy. By the time we reached the summit, I (Tim) had become quite dehydrated and was not feeling well. I rested in what little shade there was for 20 minutes while our guide called someone on his cell phone. Over the ridge appeared and angel of mercy. A bedouin woman came to me with water and a kofia (Jordanian head scarf). She wrapped it around my head and I drank the entire bottle of water. Within a few minutes I felt much better. I then found out that we had completed the entire hard part of our journey and that the rest was all downhill, including some actual steps. The woman invited us to the small place she has along the cliffs where she sells handcrafts to tourists. Her English was excellent, having learned it by talking to tourists for 20+ years. We drank hot tea spiced with cardamom and sage. Wow, amazing. We sat and talked and laughed for over 30 minutes. Then, she invited us to her home for a traditional Bedouin dinner that night. We had plans for dinner, but cancelled them in order to have this amazing experience.
Later that day, our driver picked us up and took us to the Bedouin village. We were treated as special guests and had a wonderful dinner of "upside down".

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you weren't next on the agenda at the "place of Sacrifice". I'm intrigued by a meal of "upside-down". I'm going to google that to see if I can find a recipe!

    ReplyDelete